Peoria Landmark #484
Bridge over Dry Run Creek, in Bradley Park, was build in 1898 and deemed eligible for a listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
“The Dry Run Tributary watershed is located northeast of the confluence of Kickapoo Creek with the Illinois River and includes portions of Peoria and Peoria Heights. The watershed is 1,690 acres in size lying west of Peoria Lake and the Illinois River.”
This is an early postcard of Dry Run; the Park District book “The Grandest Views” states, after many violent floods, washouts and lost bridges, in 1912, “Enough was enough as the Park District dug in to build new retaining walls higher up on the creek bank and a steel and concrete reinforced bridge where one had floated away. This time the workers literally changed the course of the creek by excavating a 40-foot wide area to connect the two extremities of a sharp curve that had given the creek its force.”
And now you know a bit more of the rest of the story…