Peoria Landmark #321
Plaque on the side of this building at the Peoria Waterworks reads:
The Main Well House was built in 1890. The small metal detail which still remains at the peak of the roof was the only ornament allowed for this building by its designer. The roof itself was originally a true cone. The brick pilasters reflect the point of support for the steel beams inside used as hoists for removing well equipment when necessary. The above ground structure covers a 34 foot diameter, 3 foot think brick cylinder which extends 45 feet deep in order to tap the water bearing aquifer below.